Our Tips for a Stress-Free Summer Holiday

24 May

If you haven’t booked one already, no doubt you will soon be thinking about your summer holiday. To ensure that your travel plans run as smoothly as possible in the event of something going wrong, as was the case with the recent delays at Gatwick Airport due to a drone sighting, we’re sharing our tips for protecting you and your family below.

Travel Disruption

Travel disruption, cancelled accommodation or cancelled excursions are a possibility. If you have booked your own holiday and not booked through a travel agent for a package holiday, you should consider adding travel disruption cover to your insurance.

A package holiday is a pre-arranged combination of at least two of the following under one inclusive price and provides additional protection and cover from your tour operator:

  • Transport
  • Accommodation
  • Other tourist services such as car hire or airport parking

Travel disruption cover helps you claim for unexpected things like delays, missed departures, enforced stay, unused travel and additional accommodation or travel. From unexpected strikes and accidents to adverse weather conditions, your well-planned trip could turn sour and end up costing you a lot of extra money.

However, you can prepare for the unexpected. Click here to get an instant travel insurance quote or contact our personal insurance team on 02920 853799 or at rachel.thomas@thomas-carroll.co.uk.

European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country, at least until Brexit. With so much doubt surrounding the EHIC card, you are safer not to risk it by making sure you have appropriate medical cover under your travel insurance. Travel insurance should always be in place, whether you have an EHIC card or not, as the EHIC card is limited.

Travel Insurance

When travelling in the EU and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions and any activities that you plan to do, such as winter sports, bungee jumping, scuba diving, trekking and zip lines.

A comprehensive insurer should always cover you for:

  • Pre-existing medical conditions
  • Medical emergencies
  • Repatriation

You will also be able to add in additional benefits, such as travel disruption (more on this below), cruise benefits and sporting activities. Click here to get an instant travel insurance quote, or contact our personal insurance team on 02920 853799 or at rachel.thomas@thomas-carroll.co.uk.


Check the date your passport expires. When travelling to the EU, the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival in an EU country.

You may wish to renew your passport sooner rather than later. Allow at least six weeks in order to make sure you have it in time for your holiday or travel plans. Travel insurance will not cover you if you are unable to travel because your passport is invalid, expired or awaiting issue.

You can renew your passport online or by going to a Post Office with a Check and Send service.