What to do in the event of a motor accident…
It is a condition of your Policy under the Road Traffic Act, that any motor accident on the public highway is notified to Insurers immediately.
If you’re involved in a collision, there are some steps you must take no matter who was at fault:
- Stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable period. Leaving the scene of an accident without liaising with other parties is a criminal offence.
- Provide your vehicle registration number, your name and address, and that of the vehicle owner (if different) to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for those details.
- If you don’t exchange details at the scene, you must report the accident at a police station or to a police constable as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours.
Whilst at the scene of the incident, you should record:
- Scene – date, time, location, weather conditions, traffic conditions, road markings/signs/signals.
- Vehicles – make, model, registration number, colour, condition, estimated speed, direction, use of lights or indicators, number of passengers.
- People – contact details, description/distinguishing features of driver(s), contact details of passengers, pedestrians or other witnesses, details of any police officers involved.
- Damage – take photographs and description of the damage to all vehicles or property, and any injuries to people involved.
When safe and convenient to do so, please contact your dedicated Claims Executive at Thomas Carroll or by calling 02920 853788. If your vehicle is not drivable, we will assist with roadside recovery.
In the event of an emergency or an incident outside of business hours, please telephone Thomas Carroll’s Out of Hours service managed by Auto Legal Protection Services (ALPS) on 0330 123 4780.
ALPS will assist with reporting the claim and provide guidance around any injuries, recovery or repairs.
You can also notify Thomas Carroll of an incident at any time of day through our Claims App.
Alternatively, should you prefer to notify your insurers directly of the incident, please contact them using the helpline recorded in your Policy documents.