What to do in the event of accidental damage to a property…

Accidental damage cover is designed to insure the policy holder’s possessions against damage caused by acts of negligence – for example, spillages and breakages at the business address or at home.

The accidental damage peril can also apply to the buildings cover under your Policy.

For residential risks, the cover is generally sold as an add-on to standard cover.

It is a Policy requirement for the Policy holder to maintain their property and avoid any unnecessary damage or injury.

What to do in the event of accidental damage and to submit a claim:

  • Take photographs of the scene/evidence of damage before attending to it.
  • Take any action necessary to mitigate further damage and/or injury e.g. clear up any broken glass.
  • Do not dispose of or repair any aspect of the damage until you have Insurer approval as they may wish to inspect.
  • Prepare a schedule of loss indicating actions required to remedy the damaged property.
  • Provide original purchase receipts as evidence of ownership of any personal or business property.
  • Where damage is to buildings, Insurers may instruct loss adjusters depending on extent of damage.
  • Provide estimates on a ‘like for like’ basis to repair or replace damaged property.

For guidance with the notification of a claim, please contact your appointed Thomas Carroll Claims Executive, email claims@thomas-carroll.co.uk or call us on 02920 853788.

Alternatively, please refer to your Policy documents for emergency helplines and procedures to notify a claim.