What to do in the event of a property theft or break in

Theft is defined as the action or crime of stealing and is dealt with as a criminal matter by the police. As a rule, Insurers will require a theft claim to be supported by evidence of ‘Violent and/or Physical Entry’.

Tips for protecting your property:

  • Install an alarm at your property and arrange annual maintenance to ensure it is fully operational.
  • Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the property.
  • Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox/reception area.
  • Install effective security lighting.
  • Make sure boundary fences/railings around your property are in good condition and gates are locked.
  • Keep ladders and tools stored away as they could be used to break into your property.
  • Store valuables in an appropriate and approved safe.
  • Avoid discussing planned absences and/or security arrangements on social media.

What to do in the event of a break in and theft of property and/or theft damage:

  • Notify Police and request a Crime Reference Number.
  • Take photographs of the scene/evidence of break in before moving anything.
  • Do not dispose of any damaged property until you have Insurer approval as they may wish to inspect.
  • If the security of the property has been breached, arrange reasonable emergency repairs to prevent further loss using your own contractor. The costs of this action may be considered under the claim.
  • Prepare a schedule of loss, itemising each individual item being claimed for.
  • Arrange for original purchase invoices to be provided for each item to evidence ownership.
  • Arrange for estimates to replace each item on a ‘like for like’ basis.

For guidance with the notification of a claim, please contact your appointed Thomas Carroll Claims Executive, email claims@thomas-carroll.co.uk or call us on 02920 853788.

Alternatively, please refer to your Policy documents for emergency helplines and procedures to notify a claim.