We are delighted to launch issue 5 of Thomas Carroll’s business magazine ‘the Scene’, available for you to download today!
Sue Howell of Wye Valley Group takes headline news as the Scene learns more about one of the leading reclamation to demolition and metal processing groups in the UK. In addition, big brands; Yankee Candle, ACT Training, Vista Retail Support and Rainbow International provide insightful company profiles.
The Scene also offers advice from industry experts on some of the latest business hot topics such as; auto enrolment, fee for intervention (FFI), energy costs, financial security and jewellery valuation to name only a few.
Flick through our online version below or click here to download a PDF.
Alternatively, if your would like to request a free hard copy please click here.
We are delighted to launch issue 4 of Thomas Carroll’s business magazine ‘the Scene’. It’s available for you to download today!
Dylan Matthews of the Celtic Manor takes headline news where the Scene follows his journey from Canada to Wales and his devotion to the Manor. It also includes insightful company profiles of great Welsh brands such as Oil 4 Wales, VPS Valeting, Botanic Garden of Wales, Folly Farm and many more.
Our magazine also offers advice around the latest business hot topics such as Digital Disasters (Cyber Liability), Pension Auto Enrolment, MoJ Reform, Tax Planning, to only name a few.
Flick through our online version below, but if you cannot read the SCENE below, either click here to download a PDF or request your personal copy by emailing Laura Eedy email@example.com.
Enjoy the read!
Win an overnight stay & dinner at The Celtic Manor Resort, Coldra Woods, The Usk Valley, Newport NP18 1HQ
- The Promoter of this Prize Draw is Thomas Carroll Group plc, Pendragon House, Crescent Road, Caerphilly, CF83 1XX. Registered number 0869707
- Entry to the prize draw is by providing Thomas, Carroll Group plc with your home insurance renewal date (for your main residence) and consenting to them retaining this information, with a view to contacting you to provide a no obligation insurance quotation.
- The prize comprises
- First Prize – an overnight stay for 2 persons in one of The Celtic Manor’s exclusive Signature room, including dinner at Steak on Six (starter, main course and dessert) up to a value of £250.00. The prize does include a bottle of wine upon arrival at your table but does not include any additional alcohol or soft drinks.
- Two Runner Up prizes – a year’s subscription to a magazine of your choice from a selection of Rugby World, Vogue, Tatler, Homes & Gardens, Golf Monthly, Country Homes & Interiors, Decanter, Classic Boat, Classic Cars, Country Living, Period Living, Eventing, Motor Boat & Yachting, The Field, SuperBike, The Railway Magazine, Gardeners World, Shooting Gazette, Lonely Planet Traveller.
- The prize draw will run from 19/04/2018 until 31/05/2018.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prizes stated and the prizes are not transferable and no part or parts of the prizes may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions. The Promoter reserves the right to offer similar prizes, or a prize of equal or greater value, if the stated prizes are unavailable due to circumstances beyond our control.
- The winner will be responsible for booking the room and meal with the venue. The prize must be booked and used by 31 December 2018. All bookings are subject to the venue being able to accommodate the request on the date and at the time requested.
- Travel is not included
- Any additional expenses and room charges will be applied at the standard rate by The Celtic Manor Resort and are not included as part of this prize
- The prize draw is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over at the date of entry. No purchase is necessary.
- Employees of Thomas Carroll Group plc are not eligible to enter.
- The winners will be drawn at random and will be notified by email/ telephone/post by 06/06/2018. The Celtic Manor Resort will be notified of the name and address of the winner.
- By accepting a prize, the winner accepts that their name may be published on our website or in any publications.
By entering the prize draw, you agree that your personal data will be held by Thomas Carroll Group plc and its subsidiary companies. You agree that your personal data may be held on a computer and may be used as described. Your data will be treated in confidence and will not be disclosed to third parties other than mentioned above. However, your personal details may be shared between Thomas Carroll Group plc and you may receive details of further special offers or products that may be of interest. You may be contacted by mail, telephone, e-mail or any other reasonable method. If you do not wish to receive details of future special offers or products that may be of interest to you then you should write to Thomas Carroll address stating such.
- Insurance Broker of the Year
- Investing in the Profession
Winners will be announced during the prestigious awards ceremony, taking place on Wednesday 4th July at The Royal Albert Hall in London.
With 25 categories covering all areas of insurance – from general insurance, SMEs, claims specialists, brokers, underwriters and service providers, the British Insurance Awards are the largest awards of their kind.
In 2014 Thomas Carroll was named ‘Insurance Broker of the Decade’ at the special 20th Anniversary British Insurance Awards. This latest shortlisting represents our commitment to the industry and maintaining high standards.
Well done to all Thomas Carroll employees!
Our employment law workshop in June is designed to help HR professionals and business owners carefully manage redundancies and restructuring in the workplace.
For any employer, making redundancies is a hard decision. It is important that every step is considered for the wellbeing of employees and your organisations’ reputation.
Thomas Carroll’s employment law expert will equip managers with the knowledge and best practice guidance on how to manage organisational restructure and redundancy.
All our employment law and HR workshops are based near Cardiff and are interactive, allowing you to freely ask questions and engage with the group. Our redundancy and restructure workshop will cover the following topics:
1. What is a redundancy situation?
2. Individual redundancy -v- collective redundancy.
3. Redundancy pools.
4. Selection criteria.
5. Reapplying for a job.
6. How to engage in a redundancy process.
7. Consultation requirements.
8. Redundancy policies.
9. Voluntary redundancy.
10. And, what to do if it all goes wrong…
Employment Law Workshop Details
- Thursday 21st June 2018, 09:00am – 12:00 noon
- Coleg y Cymoedd, Parc Nantgarw, Cardiff
- Breakfast rolls included
Cost: £105 + VAT per delegate
BOOK YOUR PLACE TODAY
How do you manage work-related road safety?
Managing work-related road safety as part of your health and safety programme for your business can help protect employees and reap businesses benefits.
Sadly, over a quarter of all road traffic incidents involves someone who is driving as part of their working day. Therefore, it is crucial that organisations ensure that the risks to drivers are included in their health and safety arrangements.
The HSE’s Driving at Work guidance and check list suggests ways in which organisations can effectively educate employees and promote safe driving. In turn it can reduce:
- injuries to drivers
- vehicle wear, tear and repair
- work-related ill health
- missed appointments
- insurance premiums
- stress and improved morale
The guidance applies to any organisation with employees who drive (or ride a motorbike or bicycle) at work. Health and safety legislation does not apply to people commuting (i.e. travelling between their home and their usual place of work), unless they are travelling from their home to somewhere which is not their usual place of work.
Is your health and safety programme due a review?
Our team of qualified health and safety specialists are on hand to help you positively manage health and safety in your business. We also have an online health and safety management system which makes it easy and efficient for you to manage.
Get in Touch
t: 02920 853 794
Significant employment law changes are due to come in from the 1st April 2018. Over the next few days all employers and HR professionals will need to be aware and respond to increases.
These include the national minimum wage, family related statutory payments, redundancy payments and sick pay.
Large employers will also face the first mandatory gender pay gap reporting deadline.
Here’s a snapshot from our employment law specialists of what’s coming into force:
- National Minimum Wage: The national living wage for workers aged 25 and over will increase by 33p to £7.83 an hour. The rates of other minimum wage bands will also increase.
- Family Related Statutory Payments: Statutory maternity, adoption, paternity and shared parental pay will rise to £145.18.
- Public Sector Equality Duties: Duties will be imposed on specified authorities in relation to socio-economic inequalities. It requires organisations to exercise them in a way that is designed to reduce the inequalities of outcome which result from a socio-economic disadvantage.
- First Mandatory Gender Pay Gap Reporting: Private and voluntary sector employers with 250 or more employees are required to publish annual information on their gender pay gap under the Equality Act 2010.
- Statutory Sick Pay: Statutory sick pay will rise to £92.05.
- Tribunal Compensation Limits: Maximum compensatory award for unfair dismissal will rise from £80,541 to £83,682.
- Statutory Redundancy Payment: It will raise from £489 to £508. The maximum amount of a week’s pay, used to calculate statutory redundancy payments and various awards including the basic and additional awards for unfair dismissal.
- Tax Free Payments: All payments in lieu of notice, including payments where there is no contractual PILON power, will be subject to income tax and class 1 NICs.
- Maternity Allowance: Statutory maternity allowance pay will rise to £145.18.
Can we help you with your employment law and HR duties?
Get in Touch Today
t: 02920 853794
With further bad weather expected over the weekend, Thomas Carroll claims suggested the following:-
Protect your property against severe weather
Before the arrival of bad weather, we recommend that you take precautions to prevent damage including keeping your heating running and lagging outdoor and garage pipes. Where a property is left unoccupied, either leave the heating on low or isolate the water supply at the mains and arrange for a neighbour to inspect at regular intervals. Your property may be at risk of damage from weight of snow, consider reasonable precautions.
Motorists – avoid all non-essential travel
Motoring organisations are warning that driving conditions are likely to be hazardous and recommend that only essential travel is undertaken in the affected areas.
In the event of damage to your property or vehicle:
Insurers will consider cover for the reasonable emergency repair costs incurred to avoid or reduce further loss or damage or, injury to persons.
In the event that you sustain damage to your property, we recommend that you:
o Take immediate precautions to mitigate further damage
o Take photographs before removing or repairing the affected areas
o Record and retain invoices/costs incurred with repairs as these may form part of your claim.
o Notify Thomas Carroll at the earliest opportunity via firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event that you require assistance following property damage or a motor incident during office hours, please contact your dedicated Claims Executive or alternatively, telephone 02920 887733 for assistance.
For assistance with an emergency outside of office hours, please contact our Head of Claims, Helen Love on 07790 011151 or alternatively, Chris Hackett, Senior Claims Executive on 07891 241555. Please refer to your Policy documents for Emergency procedures.
In line with business growth Thomas Carroll’s Haverfordwest office has moved to larger premises.
Remaining in Haverfordwest and led by Branch Director Simon Lawrence, the new office at Avallenau House on Avallenau Drive will accommodate our growing Pembrokeshire team. This includes newly appointed Amber Lloyd, a Graduate Broker and in-house Claims Executive Kevin Phillips.
Pembrokeshire-born Amber joins Thomas Carroll’s graduate trainee programme with a first-class honours degree in Business Management. Kevin brings a wealth of technical claims handling experience, relocating to his home town of Haverfordwest from Thomas Carroll’s Caerphilly office.
The new location will continue to offer our Group services including commercial insurance, personal insurance, health & safety, employment law, wealth management and employee benefits.
“Capacity to Grow the team further”
Simon Lawrence said:
“Kevin and Amber will complement our existing team of insurance experts who have helped the business flourish in our first 5 years in Pembrokeshire.
It is exciting to have appointed Amber, who is the first graduate to join our Haverfordwest office so far. The graduate programme provides individuals with early access to the right qualifications and experience.
Kevin has extensive insurance claims knowledge and works closely with clients to achieve the best outcome. It is rare for regional broker offices to have in-house claims support, we are proud to be able to provide this service locally to business owners.”
Rob Jones MBE, Group Development Director at Thomas Carroll added;
“We always put clients first which has enabled us to build strong, lasting relationships in Pembrokeshire.
The move to Avallenau House offers capacity to grow the team further. Investing in people and creating a platform for growth is part of our long-term plan to remain a strong, independent broker for the benefit of our clients.
We have exciting growth plans for the Pembrokeshire region over the next 10 years and would be interested to hear from individuals looking to further their career in financial planning, insurance and health & safety sectors.”
In addition to the Swansea office, Thomas Carroll Group has offices in Caerphilly, Haverfordwest, Newport, Hereford and London.
Our new Haverfordwest address is; Avallenau House, Avallenau Drive, Haverfordwest SA61 1XN
To contact the team call 01437 776 775
Happy and healthy employees are vital to the success of any business and many employers are surprised by the financial benefits they can offer their employees at very little additional cost.
A well thought out employee benefits package can aid employee recruitment, help achieve higher levels of engagement and ultimately boost profits.
To help make life sweet at work, Thomas Carroll Employee Benefits provide you and your employees with peace of mind so you can focus on the running of your business.
Our Wheel of Wellbeing offers a simple insight in to employee benefits and how to develop the best possible programme for you. To take a closer look, click here for a downloadable PDF version
We would be pleased to share our personal experience with employee benefits and advise you on how you can invest further in your employees.
For more information, email Steve Francis or call 02920 853788
We have appointed three local directors Mark Sullivan, Jeff Partridge and Charlotte Gwenter to lead the growing business insurance team based at our Swansea Enterprise Park office.
Mark, Jeff and Charlotte will work alongside Group Development Director, Rob Jones MBE, providing a complete insurance solution for Swansea businesses as well as offering our wider Group services; personal insurance, wealth management, health, safety and employment law.
Commenting on the appointments, Rob said; “Our Swansea office has enjoyed significant growth over the years and the new director appointments affirm our commitment to the region.
With their professional experience, qualifications and local understanding, Mark, Jeff and Charlotte are proven leaders and are well equipped to take our business to the next level.
We proudly own Elm House, Enterprise Park and are here to stay. Creating opportunities and a platform for growth is part of our 10-year plan to remain a strong, independent broker.”
Mark Sullivan said: “Since opening the Swansea office 8 years ago, we have purchased the building, expanded our group services and set up a Chartered limited company.
Always putting clients first enables us to build strong, lasting relationships which contributes to our success and the success of our clients.
With the ambition to continue growing the team, we would be interested to hear from individuals looking to further their career. People development and succession planning is important to us, we also have a successful graduate programme that enables individuals to gain qualifications and experience.
It’s a very exciting time and we’re looking forward to the new opportunity as directors.”
Mark joined Thomas Carroll in 2010 as an insurance account executive, when Thomas Carroll’s Swansea office was first established. Previously with Jelf, Mark has 29 years’ experience finding the right risk solutions for local businesses.
With a specific interest in construction, ground works, civil engineering, building and allied trades, Jeff joined Thomas Carroll in 2011 as an account executive. Jeff brought a wealth of knowledge from AXA, Antur and Richard Keen having joined the industry in 1993.
Charlotte was appointed as an account manager at Thomas Carroll in 2012 from Antur Insurance and has 9 years of commercial insurance experience, working with businesses of all sizes across a multitude of risks.
To contact Thomas Carroll Swansea call 01792 795265
The MoneyWorks newsletter is Thomas Carroll’s essential guide to making your money work harder. The Spring issue below covers the following topical financial matters;
- Inheritance tax planning. Could your pensions be the answer?
- What next for interest rates? The Bank of England has embarked on the first rate rise for a decade, but there remains a long way to go.
- Don’t fall off the retirement cliff. Failing to have sufficient pension plans in place could lead to significant financial headaches in retirement.
- Five tax considerations for 2018. The 2018/19 tax year heralds the introduction of tax changes that might impact
If you wish to discuss any of the updates in this newsletter in more detail, contact Thomas Carroll Wealth Management via email or call 02920 887733 to speak to a member of the team.